Sekonic Litemaster Pro L-478D Light Meter
The Sekonic Litemaster Pro L-478D Light Meter is an incident and flash meter that features a colour touch screen interface. The touch-screen based navigation lends itself to a highly intuitive and efficient workflow, which allows you to quickly modify exposure settings and navigate menus. This light meter is also highly versatile and capable of measuring flash, incident and reflected light for still, HD video or cine applications.
The L-478D is customisable and adaptable to your own specifications. Depending on the metering modes you use most often, you can hide certain modes to create a more streamlined menu system. Exposure constants include shutter speed, f/-number, ISO, shutter angle and frame rate; and the exposure variable can be decided upon depending on the situation you are working in. luminance and illuminance values can also be taken, which are measured in foot-candle/lux or candela per square meter/foot-lamberts, respectively. For even more fine-tuned results, you can input and create personal profiles, which allows the meter to display exposure settings in accordance with your specific camera's dynamic range and clipping points.
Other settings that are available include the ability to memorise up to 10 different exposure reading in order to refer to for comparative overall measurements. The AVE/EV setting allows you to make one master exposure reading and have subsequent readings displayed as differential values based on the master exposure value. When working with flash metering, the flash exposure values can be expressed as percentage of the flash-to-ambient light, giving you the ability to more easily alter and previsualise lighting ratios. Filter compensation and exposure compensation settings can also be applied in order to remove the necessity to apply different filter factors after a metre reading has been taken.
Colour Touch Screen Interface and Design
- The touch screen provides a more intuitive style of navigation and allows you to simply touch the settings you wish to adjust. Menu navigation is intuitive, and the handling of various configurations becomes an expedited process.
- Simple visual layout provides you with a clear view of your exposure setting and permits customisation regarding the information you wish to be displayed (included a choice of analog exposure scales (EV or f/-stops); 1, ½ or 1/3 step increments; the inclusion of 1/10 stops; and the option to hide metering modes you do not use frequently).
- One physical menu button provides you with access to a more in-depth menu system that is then navigated through the touch screen. This menu allows for you to program exposure profiles and modify custom settings for our meter.
- Measure and memory buttons are located on the side of the device for recording and initiating exposure readings. A PC sync terminal is located on the bottom of the device for direct, corded flash metering. A USB terminal is located on the side and provides a connection point to your computer for firmware updates and for loading exposure profiles to your meter. The attached light receptor features a retraceable Lumisphere that can be rotated 90° clockwise and or 180° counter-clockwise. It is also removable in order to facilitate the use of optional attachments.
Versatility Between Metering Methods
- Ability to measure incident or flash light and display exposure reading as f/-numbers, shutter speeds, or Iso settings for use with still imaging, HD video and cine uses. Exposure constants also include frame rate and shutter angle for a variety of motion uses.
- This light meter is also capable of measuring illuminance as foot-candles/lux por luminance as candela per square meter/foot/lamberts.
- Flash metering can display the percentage of flash-to-ambient light within the scene for precise lighting ratios.
- Comparative metering can be accomplished by using the AVE/EV functions allowing you to set a standard reading and have subsequent reading shown as the different in exposure values.
- Cinematic mode offers creative options for setting frame rates between 1 to 100fps or shutter angles from 1° to 358°.
- Filter compensation mode enables you to directly apply the effects of filters to your exposure reading. Up to four different filter factors can be applied at once and up to 30 different filter factors can be stored for use (24 common filters are pre-programmed, including CRB, CTO, ND +/- green and 85 amber filters).
- You can enable and disable different metering modes from showing up in menus, allowing you to configure the meter to your own personal workflow
- Calibration and custom profiling can be accomplished in accordance to your own personal camera by executing a series of exposure tests, processing the tests through Sekonic's Data Transfer Software, which is included and outputting the results as a personal profile for use with you meter. These personal profiles confine you meter to work within your specific camera's dynamic range (up to 10 distinct profiles can be saved). Profiles can also be modified or created directly through the meter.
- ISO – ISO 3 to 409600 (in 1/3 steps)
- Shutter Speed – Ambient: 30 min to 1/6400 sec. (in 1, ½ and 1/3 steps), 1/200 and 1/400 secs. also available
- Aperture – f/0.5 to f/162.2 (in 1/3 steps)
- Frame Rates (f/s) – 1-1000 (20 types other possible settings)
- Shutter Angle - 1° to 358° (20 other types other possible settings)
- EV – EV -27.9 to 55.8 (only effective with ambient light)
- Analog – T scale: 4 to 1/2000 sec. (in 1/3 steps), F scale: f/1.0 to f/90 (in 1/3 steps), EV scale: EV -3 to 3 (incident light, in 1/3 steps) / EV -7 to 7 (reflected light, in 1/3 steps), Illuminance Lux: 0 to 50,000 lux, Illuminance FC: 0 to 5,000 fc, Luminance cd/m2: 0 to 2,500 cd/m2, Luminance fl: 0 to 1,000 fl
- Contrast – EV -9.9 to 9.9 (in 1/10 steps)
- Filter Compensation – EV -5 to 5 (in 1/10 steps)
- Compensation – EV -9.9 to 9.9 (in 1/10 steps)