- Full frame, stacked - back-illuminated CMOS sensor with 50.1 effective MP.
- 15 stops of dynamic range
- Incredible ISO sensitivity with low noise
- Sony's world-leading tracking autofocus recalculates the focus up to 120 times per second, even at 30fps.
- Large, bright and high resolution with no blackout when shooting at high speeds.
- 759 AF points across 92% of the sensor.
- Capable of tracking subjects with complex movements at high frame rates.
- Real-time EyeAF now supports birds.
- Human and Animal EyeAF has improved further from existing Sony models.
- Continuous tracking even at F22.
- Improved movie functions
- 8K 30p shooting allows you to capture images with incredible depth and realism.
- 4K at 120p and up to 5x slow motion
- Shoot in 8K using real-time AF
- Equipped with S-Cinetone as found in Sony's Cinema Line FX9 and FX6 cameras and delivering cinematic expression.
- 10-bit S-Log3 with 15+ stop dynamic range and HLG
- 5-axis IBIS for improved hand held shooting
- Optimised heat dissipation allows up to 30mins shooting at 8K without overheating.
- 16-bit RAW HDMI output
Build & Pro features:
- Z battery with vertical grip
- Improved dust and moisture resistant design
- Durable magnesium alloy chassis
- Highly reliable mechanical shutter
- Dual CFexpress Typa A and UHS-II SDXC cards
- New User Interface
- 164 assignable functions to 17 custom keys and dials
- 2 built in antennas delivery industry-leading wireless transport links
- Wired LAN port
- FTP transfer for sports or news photographers
- Tethered shooting
50.1 megapixel Exmor RS™ image sensor
The Sony α1 features a full-frame stacked back-illuminated CMOS Exmor RS™ sensor with 50.1 effective megapixels and integrated memory. In addition to delivering outstanding image quality, this allows the α1 to shoot continuously at up 30 frames per second while offering fast, precise phase-detection AF and top-quality 8K movies with full-frame 8.6K oversampling for the first time in the α series. Unprecedented performance for a new era of image making.
Continuous shooting at up to 30 fps
High speed readout from the 50.1-megapixel image sensor and a large buffer memory make it possible to shoot up to approximately 165 full-frame JPEG images or 155 full-frame compressed RAW images at up to 30 frames per second with the electronic shutter while maintaining full AF and AE tracking performance. This can be a huge confidence-booster when timing is critical for sports and other moving subjects.
Silent, vibration-free electronic shutter
The electronic shutter operates silently, without mechanical noise that can be disruptive when shooting sports or events in a quiet environment. The electronic shutter is also vibration-free, minimising the likelihood of vibration-induced blur and further contributing to superior image quality. And since it has no moving components the electronic shutter is much more durable than any mechanical counterpart.
The α1 viewfinder does not black out when an exposure is made, so you have an uninterrupted view that allows smooth, seamless framing and tracking even during continuous shooting. High readout speed from the new image sensor makes it possible to refresh the live-view EVF display 240 times per second while shooting continuous bursts, overcoming the distracting time lag that is usually associated with EVF viewing.
High resolution and sensitivity with 15-stop dynamic range
The Sony α1 employs highly efficient noise reduction processing to deliver extraordinary resolution from its 50.1 effective megapixel image sensor. That resolution is complemented by high sensitivity with low noise, plus approximately 15 stops of dynamic range at lower sensitivities for smooth, natural gradations from shadows to highlights.
Real-time Eye AF now has bird mode!
In addition to Real-time Eye AF for humans and animals, the Sony α1 employs high-level subject recognition technology to provide Real-time Eye AF for birds. Select the bird to be tracked, and the camera will automatically detect and focus on that bird’s eye whether the bird is still or in flight. Optimized algorithms ensure that tracking is maintained even if a sitting bird suddenly takes flight, or the framing suddenly changes.
Stunning realism with 8K 30p movies
For the first time in the α series, the α1 offers 8K 30p XAVC HS recording with 8.6K oversampling for extraordinary resolution and realism. Combined with superior α1 AF, gradation, and colour reproduction performance, 8K resolution brings the world to life. 8K footage is also ideally suited to flexible 4K editing. Low-bit-rate proxy files with HD resolution can be recorded simultaneously with 8K.