- 20.1 megapixel full-frame sensor with huge dynamic range and ISO sensitivity
- DIGIC X image processor for blazing speed and superb image quality
- Real-time, lag-free, no-delay optical viewfinder
- Up to 20fps continuous shooting
- Deep-learning autofocus programmed with real-world data from professional photographers
- 5.5K Raw video; filmmaking at 4K/60p
- Smart controller adds fast intuitive control of AF point selection, even when wearing gloves
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF focuses with lightning speed when shooting stills, and smoothly when capturing video
- Gigabit Ethernet and built-in Wi-Fi + Bluetooth
Canon EOS-1D X Mark III
Life is full of unrepeatable moments. Capture more of them with the EOS-1D X Mark III and tell your visual story to the world. When conditions are tough, the light is poor but the pressure’s on, the EOS-1D X Mark III lets you capture winning images before the competition. It’s the ultimate creative toolkit, with superb low-light performance, deep learning AF and 5.5K Raw video.
• Some moments are unique, one time occurences. Gone in a fraction of a second, never to come again. Preserve them forever with the EOS-1D X Mark III, capturing the action at up to 20fps.
• Capture images with biting clarity and sharpness. Deep learning AF algorithms recognise all kinds of situations and can even track faces hidden by goggles or a helmet.
• A DIGIC X processor and bespoke 20.1 megapixel sensor are superb in low light – up to ISO 102,400, expandable to 819,200. The EOS-1D X Mark III delivers an outstanding dynamic range.
• When it comes to video, the EOS-1D X Mark III fits in to virtually any workflow. Capture full frame 4K 60p, or 5.5K RAW footage that opens up new creative possibilities.
• Whether you’re in an ethernet-equipped stadium, or transmitting pictures for a deadline using Wi-Fi, the EOS-1D X Mark III keeps you ahead of the competition.
• The Canon EOS-1D X Mark III is designed to be tough, reliable and intuitive – as close to invisible as a camera can be.
Comparsion to EOS 1D X Mark II
- New 20.1MP sensor
- ISO sensitivity increased to 102,400 (versus 51,200)
- Continuous shooting now up to 20fps with AF tracking
- Improved low-light AF
- More than double the battery life
- New HEIF file format
- Wi-Fi & Bluetooth connectivity built in
- Shutter life 500,000 (versus 400,000)
- Improved video - now 5.5K RAW (60p), 4K DCI (60p), 4K UHD (60p), Full-HD (120p)
- RAW movie recording
- 2x CFexpress card slots (vs 1x Cfast and 1x CompactFlash)
- 90g lighter
HEIF Image Format
The High Efficiency Image File (HEIF) format is the nextgeneration file format for digital photographers. It’s based on the HEVC/H.265 video codec and allows for higher image quality with no concurrent increase in file size, compared with JPEGs. HEIF files have fewer artefacts and increased dynamic range with 10-bit colour depth.
Deep learning AF
The EOS-1D X Mark III is equipped with a deep learning autofocus algorithm that has been programmed using real-world examples of sports photography from virtually every event you can imagine – from football to athletics and much more. It can recognise the faces of athletes even when they are obscured by goggles or helmets and knows when subjects are upside down – in diving competitions, for example.
Digic X Image Processor
At the heart of the EOS-1D X Mark III is a single DIGIC X image processor that operates with incredible speed and efficiency. DIGIC X is responsible for both the
camera’s responsive performance – typified by its 20fps continuous shooting 4k/60p oversampled video – and its superlative image quality. The processor enables enhanced DLO, ALO and Highlight Tone Priority, plus very low levels of noise at high ISO.
Gaussian low pass filter
A gaussian low pass filter samples light over a greater number of pixels than a conventional low pass filter, so artefacts such as moire can be tackled while reserving fine sharpness and clarity.
The EOS-1D X Mark III features dual CFexpress card slots, which are capable of writing information at incredible speeds. The camera can capture 1000 shots in a continuous burst and even then only needs two seconds to clear its memory buffers. After consultation with professional photographers, the dual card slots in the EOS-1D X Mark III can be assigned individually to either still photos or video.
The EOS-1D X Mark III has a pair of smart controllers – one for horizontal shooting; the other for vertical. These revolutionary devices – which are built into the camera’s AF-ON buttons – are shaped like traditional joystick but behaviour more like a miniature touchpad that can be used to scroll AF points around the screen. Each controller is customised for sensitivity and speed and reacts intuitively even when you’re wearing gloves. The camera automatically disables the vertical controller when you’re shooting horizontally to avoid accidental movements.