This course provides the ideal opportunity to learn all about flash photography. It will demystify how flash works and how you can set-up and use flash for accurate repeatability. Staring with the simplest options it teaches you how to adapt and modify the lighting to make the most of any situation. By controlling and modifying the light using both on-board and off camera flash lighting you can create studio quality lighting that works seamlessly with any ambient light for amazing creative possibilities. The secret to great pictures is often the subtlety of lighting - Speedlight flash control gives that control for superb control of contrast, reduced shadows and highlighting details.
• Identify and understand the key features of your flash unit
• How to set and reset on-board and off camera Speedlights
• Learn how light behaves to understand how to control flash.
• Learn how digital cameras work with flash to understand when to let it take charge.
• The difference between manual and TTL flash.
• What is the difference between TTL, TTL BL, AA, Manual
• How to balance flash lighting with ambient for a more natural result.
• Begin to use bounce and tilt to modify the quality of the lighting.
A model will be present for part of the afternoon session so you can get real life experience with flash and see the results for yourself. Some of the practicals throughout the day will include the following:
• Using on-board flash for basic fill flash.
• Flash compensation to control output and improve performance.
• Speedlight use understanding TTL and manual.
• Balance BL flash or not.
• Bounce tilt flash for better lighting.
• Modifying using external accessories for professional lighting techniques.
• Take the flash off camera for more control.
• Feathering and filtering light.
By the end of the course you will have learned how to correctly control your flashgun / speedlight in a range of situations, and be able to identify and understand the different modes and settings and when to use them effectively. You will understand the principles of light and how to modify it for creative effect and also understand the importance of light intensity, quality and colour and how to control these elements.
This course takes place at The Liverpool Learning Suite. Tea, coffee, etc. will be provided and atendees will have 60 minutes for lunch. Lunch is not provided, but our central location means that there are many lunch options within a short walk. If you wish to bring your own packed lunch, then we do provide a fridge and guests are welcome to eat their lunch in The Learning Suite.
Courses start at 10am, but feel free to arrive from 9.30am in order to get a coffee and relax beforehand. Courses finish at approximately 4.30pm, but this time may change, so please allow extra time when making travel arrangements.
Please note that The Learning Suite is on the 1st floor of our Liverpool store and our toilet facilities are on the 2nd floor.
Unfortunately, there is no wheelchair access. However, our staff are always on hand if you require any assistance. We are open for viewings 7 days a week, if you want to check the accessibility beforehand.
If you or anyone in your group wishes to attend one of our Liverpool based courses, but is unsure whether the venue is suitable, then please get in touch. Wherever possible, we will try to accomodate you, or look into an alternative solution. Thank you.
Cancellations - Cancellations made within 7 days of the event are non-refundable.